In 2019, ACTIONN truly lived out its mission to build a movement for justice by organizing, uniting, and mobilizing communities deeply rooted in faith and communities deeply rooted in the pain of injustice.
More than 1,000 leaders took action over 2018 and 2019 to lead the Washoe County Board of Commissioners to establish the Washoe County Affordable Housing Trust Fund this past March.
We also stepped up to lead our strongest engagement in the Nevada State Legislature ever. More than 300 leaders headed to Carson City and met with their state legislators as part of weekly advocacy visits, committee hearing rapid response, and Housing & Homeless Awareness Day. Our consistent and powerful presence at the state capitol helped pass several bills in support of housing and economic justice including:
- SB448 – Creates $40 million in state level Low-Income Housing Tax Credits over the next 4 years, which will add thousands of affordable housing units to our state
- AB456 – Increases the minimum wage in Nevada to $12 by 2024
- SB103 – Strengthens local governments’ ability to incentivize affordable housing development
- SB151 – Extends the time frame for evictions and caps unpaid rent late fees at 5%
Our success this year has inspired us to grow this movement for justice in new and exciting ways!
Since June, ACTIONN leaders have met with hundreds of their family, friends, and neighbors through house parties and congregation meetings. They discussed their values and concerns heading into 2020. Those conversations led to the creation of a community-focused and values-driven voter platform. The purpose of this platform is to drive powerful conversation with voters and candidates in 2020 that ensures our most pressing concerns are at the forefront of the campaign season and also sets the stage to win big fights for justice in 2021 and beyond.
We have set some bold goals for our civic engagement in 2020:
- Register 5,000 voters in low-income neighborhoods, communities of color, and other historically disenfranchised communities in Washoe County
- Create 20 congregation-based justice teams capable of mobilizing their communities to take action around issues of justice and faith throughout 2020.
- Meet with every local candidate to discuss our community platform.
- Educate and mobilize 10,000 voters through house parties, congregation meetings, town halls, phonebanking, canvassing, and other GOTV efforts.
We have set a goal of raising $10,000 to support and train hundreds of community members to lead this powerful civic engagement in 2020. We invite you to join us in this movement for justice by giving to ACTIONN today