ACTIONN is a grassroots organization that fights for racial and economic justice in Washoe County. We partner with faith communities and other stakeholders to create change through community organizing, advocacy, and civic engagement.
As a nonpartisan, 501(c)3 non-profit organization, ACTIONN does not endorse or support any political party or candidate. The goal of this voter guide is to provide nonpartisan voter education to Nevadans by sharing the candidates’ responses to our Candidate Questionnaires.
The creation of this voter guide included 3 major components:
- First, ACTIONN leaders hosted conversations with hundreds of community members in over 30 community conversations with communities from faith, weekly motels, low-income apartment complexes, and local non-profits to create the People First Platform. The platform highlights the key priorities and major concerns identified in these conversations: housing, education, healthcare, and immigration.
- Second, based on the platform, ACTIONN leaders created Candidate Questionnaires for candidates running for:
- Washoe County School Board
- Sparks City Council
- Reno City Council
- Washoe County Board of Commissioners
- Nevada State Legislature
- Finally, all candidates were sent the platform and an invitation to discuss the questionnaire with ACTIONN leaders (in-person or via video call) and provide a written response.
- 23 candidates met with us to discuss the questions
- 35 candidates responded to the questionnaire
Also, please note:
- Written responses were limited to 250 words per question and submitted via Google Forms. Written responses were not altered in any way.
- The deadline to provide a written response was April 23rd, 2020. Candidates listed without a written response and/or photo failed to provide them or respond by this deadline.
- Candidates appear in alphabetical order.
- To make the voter guide accessible to as many community members as possible, all candidate responses were translated by the Northern Nevada International Center from English to Spanish. ACTIONN paid for the translation services and did not alter the finished translations.
- The voter guide is solely funded by ACTIONN through private grants and donations. If you wish to support this nonpartisan voter education effort, donations may be made HERE. If you would like to get engaged in other ways, fill out our pledge card!