ACTIONN is a grassroots organization that fights for racial and economic justice in Northern Nevada. We partner with faith communities and other stakeholders to create change through community organizing, advocacy, and civic engagement.
As a nonpartisan, 501(c)3 non-profit organization, ACTIONN does not endorse or support any political party or candidate. The goal of this voter guide is to provide nonpartisan voter education to Nevadans by sharing the candidates’ responses to our Candidate Questionnaires.
The creation of this voter guide included 3 major components:
Primary Election – People First Voter Guide
ACTIONN met with hundreds of community members in 2019 and the beginning of 2020 developed the People First Platform to address housing, education, immigration, and healthcare. This platform led to the creation of the People First Voter Guide to ask local and state-level candidates questions for the Primary Election.
The New Normal Campaign
In response to COVID-19 and the call for transformative change following the death of George Floyd, ACTIONN recognized that a new platform was needed to handle the new challenges within our world. Thus we met with community and faith leaders to create the New Normal Framework to center communities of color and reject the status quo that continues to hurt our state.
For the first time, ACTIONN joined forces with Faith Organizing Alliance (FOA) in Southern Nevada to create a statewide coalition. Together, along with leaders of faith and goodwill, we have launched the New Normal campaign working for transformative change in policing, corporate tax breaks, mass incarceration, education, housing, immigration, and our democracy.
General Election – The New Normal Voter Guide
The questions within this voter guide were created by community members who live and operate in each of the race’s wards and districts. ACTIONN’s organizers met with community members throughout Northern Nevada to formulate questions that reflect the current needs and concerns of our community.
Questions were sent to all candidates running for Reno and Sparks City Council, Washoe County Commission, Washoe County School Board, State Senate, and State Assembly. Races, where none of candidates responded to the questionnaires, were not included in this voter guide.
Candidates were also asked to attend Candidate Forums for each of the races throughout September and October.
September 29th → Washoe County School Board Candidate Forum
October 6th → City of Reno Candidate Forum
October 13th → City of Sparks Candidate Forum
October 20th → Washoe County Commissioner Forum
October 27th → State Legislature Candidate Forum
*ACTIONN is a 501(c)(3) non-partisan organization. We do not endorse any political party or candidate.
Also, please note:
- Written responses were limited to 250 words per question and submitted via Google Forms. Written responses were not altered in any way.
- The deadline to provide a written response was September 11, 2020. Candidates listed without a written response and/or photo failed to provide them or respond by this deadline.
- Candidates appear in alphabetical order.
- To make the voter guide accessible to as many community members as possible, all candidate responses were translated by the Northern Nevada International Center from English to Spanish. ACTIONN paid for the translation services and did not alter the finished translations.
- The voter guide is solely funded by ACTIONN through private grants and donations. If you wish to support this nonpartisan voter education effort, donations may be made HERE. If you would like to get engaged in other ways, fill out our pledge card!